Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Baptizm, What's the big deal?...


I would like to talk a little bit about the fact that I am being baptized on Sunday at church.  Baptism is not something that I have given much thought before the last couple of weeks.  I was baptized in the Eastern Orthodox Church as part of the initiation rites.  While it was a lovely ceremony, I don’t think I quite grasped the importance of it at that point.  Even now I think I am struggling a little as to what the importance of it is.  I am saved, something I have no doubt of, God is actively working in my life, I am inhabited by the holy spirit who leads me daily and I have given over my life to the Lord and strive to be completely obedient to His direction for my life.  So, what is the big deal with baptism?
 
I have dug in a little bit and found a couple of verses and some interesting points of view that have helped me understand a little bit better why I need to take this step.

1.       In Matthew 28: 19-20, Jesus said, “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit ….”
 
2.       Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.”  Romans 6:3-6
 
3.       “God’s people should be baptized because God commanded it, not because some church requires it.” ~ John R. Rice

So here is why I am being baptized.

             I am being baptized because Jesus commissioned it and God commands it. I am being baptized as an act of humility and submission to God.  I am obeying His command and showing those around me a symbol of my faithfulness and desire to be Christ-like in all that I do.

             As you well know I am a bit hard headed and it usually takes a little nudging at the very least for me to pay attention to what God is directing me to do.  Well I have been working on this and truly feel that I am improving in that area.  As an act of obedience and in an effort to do the right thing before I am “made” to, I am getting baptized on Sunday.
 
And now why are you waiting?
Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins,
calling on the name of the Lord.
Acts 22:16

No comments:

Post a Comment