Monday, August 24, 2015

10 Things I Learned on my Journey to Relationship Purity

As you, my dear reader, will know from several of my past posts, I have struggled for a very long time with relationship and purity issues. Let’s be clear here, I am talking about sexual promiscuity, jumping into relationships that are unhealthy,  allowing myself to be used to satisfy a fleeting and destructive desire, being heartbroken and feeling used. It has taken me years to bring these desires into check. I say into check because while I have learned how to channel Christ’s strength to overcome them, some are still there and may always be. It has truly been something God and I have gone head to head on over, and over again.  The journey has taken me nearly three years to work through, but God has been so faithful, and issue by issue, brick by brick, He has helped me to tear down that stronghold that Satan had built in my life.
I would like to share a few truths that God has shown me that might help anyone else who is struggling with similar issues or just with being single in general.

1.       If you are not trusting God with your relationship status, if you are going out and searching for your next relationship, you do not believe that He knows what is best. 

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Jer. 29:11, NIV)

2.       If you spend more time thinking about being in a relationship or looking for your next relationship than focused on the Lord, you have an idol.  Don’t get me wrong, if God has given you the desire to be a wife that is a legitimate desire, just don’t become so fixated on it that it becomes the most important thing.

Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. (Col. 3:5, NIV)

3.       Just like anything else that a person might struggle with, YOU CANNOT OVERCOME THIS ALONE!! Only through God’s help will you ever be able to truly overcome weakness of any sort.

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. (2 Cor. 12:9, NIV)


4.       You will have to become aware of yourself and the Holy Spirit’s instruction. Sometimes you will not like the things you may have to give up, but trust him, He knows what He is doing. He is after all our Teacher. Be aware and vigilant!

Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. (Matt. 26:41, NIV). 

5.       God will always provide for your needs according to His mercy and goodness. Once I was able to  break my fixation on one person filling my every need, I discovered that God had placed so many amazing people in my life to support me, love me and give me those things that I needed, in a Godly way.

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:19, NIV)

6.       SEEK GOD FIRST!! I cannot tell you how important this is. Fall in love with Jesus. Read about Him, create a picture of Him in your mind with the help of the Holy Spirit and the bible. Make Him REAL to you. Falling in love with Jesus is a remarkable experience. You will feel His presence and love surrounding you.

I don’t want your sacrifices—I want your love; I don’t want your offerings—I want you to know me. (Hs. 6:6, NIV)

7.       Once you have realigned your priorities to God’s guidelines, write a description of who you think the perfect mate for you would look like, be like, etc. Be bold, no bars held, everything you want. Now read it and realize that whatever God has in store for you will be even better than everything you just listed. BETTER!!

Now to Him Who, by (in consequence of) the [action of His] power that is at work within us, is able to [carry out His purpose and] do superabundantly, far over and above all that we [dare] ask or think [infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, hopes, or dreams]— (Eph. 3:20, AMP)

8.       Contentment is key. It is hard, it is frustrating, it is everything. If you cannot be content in where you are and what God has blessed you with now, you will never be able to appreciate the more He wants to give you!  You are in this place for a purpose, celebrate your growth!

 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength. (Phil. 4:11-13, NIV)

9.       Be THANKFUL!! EVEN IN THE HARD, BE THANKFUL! That is where you will find your JOY and CONTENTMENT!

And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Col. 3:15-17, NIV)

10.   I have saved this one for last because it is so very important. KNOW YOUR WORTH IN CHRIST! You are the Daughter of the Most High God and Betrothed of the King of Kings, your worth is immeasurable! Claim your inheritance and live like you know it! Don’t settle for anything less than someone who Jesus is willing to step aside for and allow to love you as His earthly counterpart. Read that last sentence again, that is really what a husband is! Isn’t that amazing and wonderful?!?!?

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, ... (Eph. 1:3-14, ESV)

I am so humbled to be able to say that I have found peace, God’s peace and I am no longer tormented, enslaved, or shamed by the past choices I have made. I live in God’s freedom and His grace. I hope the lessons that I have worked so hard to learn will help you whether you are struggling with contentment, purity, or understanding what God’s will is for your life.

Be Blessed,
~A.


No comments:

Post a Comment